Sunday, February 8, 2015

Little Things

A couple of months ago I had a dessert/tweet shown on a tv show called The Kitchen on Food Network. 

Screen shot of the TV w/the picture of dessert and Sunny Anderson show the Cherpumple 

I did a take on a cake that one of the chefs, Sunny Anderson, had shown on the show. She made a chocolate cake with an apple pie baked in the center

My version was a pecan pie baked inside the chocolate cake. I then topped the cake with a bourbon chocolate ganache and toasted pecans. I called it The Two For One.  

Two For One. Dark Chocolate cake w/a pecan pie center, topped w/bourbon chocolate ganache and toasted pecans


The tweet of that dessert became very popular. So much so that it was shown on the show that the hosts shared what other viewers of the show had done with other recipes as well. 

It was really neat/cool to see that on national tv. It's the little things. But what was fun was hearing Sunny Anderson talking about it and then hearing the other hosts vocally mmm at the description of my take on the dessert. 

Sunny then showed another dessert that she called The Cherpumple. It's a cheesecake with a pumpkin pie in the center. 

I loved how Sunny said," I see your chocolate cake and I raise you The Cherpumple." So took that as a challenge. 

I made The Presley. It's a no-bake cheesecake with a fudge insert. The Presley is an homage to Elvis Presley's favorite sandwich; a peanut butter and banana sandwich with bacon on white bread. 

So what I did was to make the cheesecake (which I made banana), and then made a peanut butter fudge for the inside. I put it all together then I fried off some bacon. I crumbled up the bacon and garnished a slice with the bacon. It all sounds like it wouldn't be good together, but surprisingly it is delicious. 

The Presley. Banana cheesecake w/peanut butter fudge center topped with pan fried bacon 
I grew up less than an hour from where Elvis Presley was born and less than hour from Graceland. Knowing that Sunny Anderson spent some of her life in the South, I figured she would appreciate this nod to Elvis.

I find pleasure in the little things. It was no more than a minute being mentioned on TV but I got mentioned. Little things. I'm still a pastry chef that looks at all things for inspiration. You will always surprise yourself on what inspires you. Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment