Thursday, February 26, 2015

Bye Mardi Gras

Last week was shortest long week ever. 

I was off for Mardi Gras (another benefit of working at a college in South Louisiana). Long four day weekend then only three days then off again for the weekend. 

The last king cake I made for the season 

It was only three working days but it dragged by and it felt like I hadn't had a break in months. I welcomed the weekend. 

But I was happy to have my parents down for a couple of days over the long weekend. We just tooled around town and I showed them some of the Mardi Gras stuff. But did steer clear of most of it. 

I did make them dinner the night they came into town. Spinach pasta w/an artichoke tomato sauce and caramelized onion and chicken meatballs. It was very tasty and they were happy. 

Getting dinner going for my parents 

I found the pasta at Fresh Market and I also bought the tomato sauce as well. I know... Some people frown upon store bought anything, but to me, if it is a great product and you like the company that produces it, why not? And I had just finished a week of making over 100 king cakes so I was looking for all the time saving help I could. 

So much yumminess 

The sauce did need some doctoring up. I cooked up the meatballs and some pancetta pieces and then poured the sauce into the same pan I cooked the pancetta (took the pancetta and meatballs out and put on a paper towels to absorb some of the grease and also wiped out some of the grease from the pan). I added in some artichoke hearts I had in the fridge, and tossed the cooked pasta to the mix and added the meatballs back to the pan. 

All finished. Spinach egg noodle pasta with artichoke and tomato sauce w/caramelized onion and chicken meatballs  

My parents were happy. When I served them the pasta with some garlic bread, I topped the pasta and meatballs with the crunchy pancetta pieces. They got seconds :)

It was also Valentines weekend as well... 

I went out to eat with my parents and my cousin, and then went back to the house. We made some cocktails and watched the Ole Miss basketball game. 

Instead of just flowers for Valentines, I got a garden. I have to say I was a very happy girl. Planted tomatoes, bell peppers, herbs and lettuce. Can't wait to write and tell y'all about how my plants are growing and what recipes I'm using them in. Happy Eating! 
My Valentines gift. A garden!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment