Sunday, November 9, 2014

Sick Day


I hate getting sick. It always puts a damper on things. What is something that you make when you're feeling sick? Is it soup? That is what I always have when I'm under the weather. 

My mom or dad would make me a bowl of chicken noodle soup whenever I did get sick growing up.



Over the years, I’ve not always been home, or a short drive from home, to have my parents to take care of me. I’m thankful that I did have that growing up, for sure.

I’ve lived in Savannah, Georgia; out West in Denver, Colorado; even over seas in Augergne region of France in Yssingeaux. In all places I had my encounters of being under the weather, so I resorted to making some comfort food to remind me of home, and to help me power through.

Since chicken noodle soup was what I had in my childhood, it was/is always my go to. I am not ashamed to admit it… I love Campbell’s home style chicken noodle soup. That is my ultimate go to! Has to be home style. Childhood comfort.

Grilled cheese and Home style chicken noodle soup.... mmmmm

When I didn’t have access to a stove top, I would use a microwave and cook noodles with chicken broth and then add in the veggies you can steam in the microwave, would even get the canned chicken or one of those rotisserie chickens… That was still really good. Really helped getting through those sick days. You come very innovative when you don't have access to your normal amenities. Dorm life 😉

A new recipe I love to do now, is one from a British chef named Rachel Khoo. Love all of her stuff. She has a chicken dumpling soup that I just fell in love with and enjoy making now. I've been using it for the past 2 years now, and it never disappoints. 

It is always easy to make soup when feeling under the weather, and even on those cold fall and winter days. Soup is also great to take to friends or family that are under the weather or recovering from surgery. I feel like it is a way to give a warm hug. Also easy to freeze, so they can keep getting that warm hug.

My version of Rachel Khoo's Chicken Dumpling Soup
I find that just the act of making a soup when I'm sick is instantly starts making me feel better.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment